If you answer yes to these 6 questions then read on…
· Do you have difficulty getting up in the morning even after a long sleep?
· Do you experience high levels of fatigue each day?
· Do you feel you have an inability to handle stress?
· Do you crave sweet or salty foods?
· Do you have higher energy levels in the evenings?
· Is your immune system low meaning you catch colds and virus’ easily?
The adrenals are two small glands that sit just on top of the kidneys. They keep cortisol and adrenaline in check (two major stress hormones but essential components to our metabolism) as well as regulate inflammation in the body. An episode of acute stress or prolonged, chronic stress can cause adrenal glands to become overloaded and ineffective leaving you feeling exhausted.
If you feel you could be suffering with adrenal fatigue here are some steps to take;
- 1. Cut out sugars– Avoid sugary foods, cereals, etc. and be aware that sugar is an additive in many breads, condiments and dressings. Try stevia or Xylitol as an alternative.
- 2. Add healthy fats – Coconut oil, ghee, organic olive oil, and clarified butter all greatly support adrenal health.
- 3. Get more Sleep – Rest wherever possible and try turning off all electronics 1 hour before bed and aim for 8 solid hours sleep per night.
- 4. Sip on Green Tea. Organic green tea has high levels of nutritive phytochemicals which support the adrenal glands. Matcha green tea is the best.
- 5. Eliminate stress – Try yoga, tai chi or meditation to relax overly-stressed adrenal glands.
- 6. Improve your diet – Add plenty of leafy green vegetables to your diet throughout the day and at least 40 grams of protein in the morning. Try eggs or Greek yoghurt for breakfast.
- 7. Consume Natural Salt - Natural salts like Himalayan salt contain many trace minerals, which help to support the adrenals. .
- 8. Limit the use of stimulants - Coffee and alcohol should be moderated when you are suffering from adrenal fatigue.
- 9. Don’t over-train at the Gym – Excessive Cardio or endurance training is really hard on the adrenals. With adrenal fatigue try a gentler form of exercise.
It can take 6-24 months to reverse adrenal fatigue but at Body Fabulous we can write you a specific plan to support you with your diet and supplementation regime to regain your health and get that energy back again!